Thursday, June 19, 2014 has been declared as National Dump The Pump Day! This is where many people from across the United States are invited by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) and participating transit agencies to leave their personal vehicles behind and use public transit. This event often attracts both new and existing riders to participating systems across the nation!
There are many great benefits to using public transit, including financial savings (monthly transit passes are nowadays cheaper than having to fill up at the pump per month, in some vehicles…just one fill up can surpass the cost of a monthly transit pass), less wear and tear on your vehicle (thus saving you maintenance costs), reduced carbon footprint, less dependence on foreign oil, and my personal favorite…not having to deal with changing lanes, exiting highways, stop and go traffic, and tolls! Leave the driving to your bus and train operators!
Here’s some other facts about transit, all from the APTA.
- Public transportation is a $57 billion industry, which employs more than 400,000 people.
- Public Transportation provides economic opportunities & drives community growth and revitalization
- Every $1 invested in public transportation generates approximately $4 in economic returns
- Every $10 million in public transportation capital investments yields $30 million in increased business sales
- Every $10 million in operating investments yields $32 million in increased business sales.
- From 2006-2011, residential property values performed 42 percent better on average if they were located near public transportation with high-frequency service.
- Public transportation use in the US saves 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline annually.
Here in the Tampa Bay Area, both Hillsborough Area Regional Transit (HART) and the Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority (PSTA) are taking part in National Dump The Pump Day. HART in fact, is offering a FREE 1-Day pass in exchange for your recent gas receipt (must be dated no earlier than May 1, 2014).
DID YOU KNOW that both HART and PSTA provide Travel Training programs to first-time public transit bus riders AT NO COST TO THE CUSTOMER? Learn more by contacting HART at 813-254-4278, or PSTA at 727-540-1900.