Since I began using the HART system in the fall of 2006, I have never seen any fare and service change that would be on such a grand scale. Well people, sweeping changes are coming…
According to HART’s website, such changes will include increasing the base fare for regular bus service by 25 cents to offset losses caused by the rising cost of gas. Next, many underused pass programs will be either realigned or eliminated. finally, underperforming routes will be shifted or eliminated, while frequency on busy routes are increased.
Here are the changes…
Local Route Fares Current Proposed
Cash Fare $1.50 $1.75
Discounted Cash Fare $ .75 $ .85
Connector Cash Fare $ .50 $ .50
In-Town Trolley Cash Fare $ .50 $ .25*
31-Day Unlimited Connector $10.00 Eliminate
31-Day Discount Unlimited Connector $5.00 Eliminate
1-Day Local Unlimited Ride $3.25 $3.75
1-Day Discount Unlimited Ride $1.60 $1.85
20-Ride (Local, Discount) Replaced by:
NEW 7 Pack 1-Day Local Unlimited Ride $24.00
NEW 7 Pack 1-Day Discount Unlimited Ride $12.00
31-Day Local Unlimited Ride $50.00 $60.00
31-Day Discount Local Unlimited Ride $25.00 $30.00
3-Day Visitor $9.75 $11.00
3-Day Visitor/Group (Bulk purchase of 200 or more) $8.00 $9.00
Adult Student Discount Fare** (Proposed to be Eliminated)
31-Day Local Unlimited Ride $25.00 Eliminate
20-Ride Local Unlimited Ride $15.00 Eliminate
Express Route Fares Current Proposed
Cash Fare $2.50 $2.75
Discounted Cash Fare $1.25 $1.35
1-Day Premium (Express, Discount) Unlimited Ride Replaced by:
1-Day Express Unlimited Ride $5.50
1-Day Discount Express Unlimited Ride $2.25
20-Ride (Express, Discount) Replaced by:
NEW 7 Pack 1-Day Express Unlimited Ride $36.00
NEW 7 Pack 1-Day Discount Express Unlimited Ride $18.00
31-Day Express Unlimited Ride $80.00 $90.00
31-Day Discount Express Unlimited Ride $40.00 $45.00
ADA Paratransit Fares*** Current Proposed
HARTplus One-Way Cash Fare $3.00 $3.50
10-Ride HARTplus Pass $30.00 $35.00
* New cash fare for In-Town Trolley Purple Line and Green Line effective 6/9/08.
** Provided through colleges and universities under contract with HART.
*** Fare structure adheres to federal policy on ADA fares. Fares may be up to twice the local cash fare.
Route 30 – Town ‘N Country
* Frequency proposed to increase from 30 minutes to 15 minutes between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday between the Marion Transit Center and Tampa International Airport.
* Weekend frequency proposed to increase from 60 minutes to 30 minutes.
Route 2 – Nebraska Avenue
* Frequency proposed to increase from 30 minutes to 20 minutes between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Implementation of HARTflex Service in SouthShore
* Route 87 – SouthShore Connector would be converted to HARTflex service
o Route would be simplified with fewer time points and stops.
o Customers may call in advance for a pick-up/drop-off within the shaded area.
o Former 35LX patrons may be transported to meet Route 31 – South Hillsborough.
o Hours of service remain the same – 8:00 a.m. – 7:15 p.m. Monday through Friday.
* Due to loss of Ruskin  Park-n-Ride lot, Route 47LX – SouthShore Limited Express would be reconfigured to run on US 301. Route 47LX would proceed to the Gibsonton Wal-Mart and then continue its present route.
* Route 35LX – SouthShore/Brandon Limited Express would be eliminated due to low ridership.
Revision of South Tampa Service
* Route 89 – South Tampa Connector would be eliminated.
* Route 4 – Palma Ceia/MacDill would be reconfigured to focus on South Tampa service and renamed Route 4 – South Tampa.
o Downtown connections at Westshore Plaza to improved Route 30 and at Britton Plaza to Route 19 – Port Tampa.
o Route 4 would also connect to improved Route 30, providing access to Tampa International Airport.
* Route 85 South Tampa Weekend Connector would be eliminated.
o Route 36 – Dale Mabry/Himes Avenue would be extended to operate from Britton Plaza to MacDill AFB on weekends.
o Route 46 would be realigned to serve Hyde Park and renamed Route 46 – Hyde Park/Brandon.
o Route 46 would no longer serve Davis Islands.
Revision of Northwest Tampa Service
• Route 88 – Town N’ Country Connector would be eliminated
• Route 16 – Waters Avenue would be re-routed to Northbridge Blvd., with segments on Woodbridge Blvd. and Hanley Rd. eliminated.
Public Hearing (Open-House Style)
Wednesday, July 16
Marion Transit Center,
3:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
Please note, HART public hearings are held open-house style. You do not have to be present at the beginning, and you do not have to stay until the end. Simply stop by anytime during the scheduled hearing and provide your comments verbally or in writing, and they will be added to the official record.