The biggest event since the 2012 Republican National Convention is coming to Tampa Bay! I’d say this is even bigger than the RNC due to its global exposure! It’s the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Awards, which is also known as the “Bollywood Oscars”! This year’s grand event is being held at Tampa’s Raymond James Stadium and is the first such appearance here in the United States!
To give you a taste of just how huge this event will be, take a look at this YouTube video that I found of an IIFA flash mob in New York City’s Times Square. This was done on April 13, 2014 (just a few days ago).
Video Credit: aryadanceacademy
For more information about the upcoming event, please visit the IIFA’s official website.
Bus Route Detours
Because of various street closures and security protocols, several Hillsborough Area Regional Transit (HART) bus routes will be detoured from April 24 through the 26. Additionally, the West Tampa Transfer Center, which sits adjacent to the Stadium, will be CLOSED DURING THESE DAYS.
RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM AREA
HART bus routes 7, 32, 36, 41, and 45 will all follow the detour procedures that are in place during events that are held at Raymond James Stadium. These procedures will activate the temporary bus transfer point at MacDill Ave and St. Isabel St, next to St. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital. So if you’re planning to use transit during the course of April 24 through 26, please be aware that you may need to walk further than normal to catch your bus. Please allow extra time to get to the temporary transfer point, and keep in mind that many normal bus stops WILL NOT BE SERVED!
- Route 7 will utilize Hillsborough Ave between Lois and Habana Avenues and then travel down Habana towards the temporary transfer point. The HCC Dale Mabry Campus WILL NOT BE SERVED! Students that normally use the HART system should make alternative arrangements.
- Route 32 will follow normal routing to the temporary transfer point.
- Route 36 will follow Spruce St, MacDill Ave, Habana Ave, and Hillsborough Ave between Hillsborough Ave and Spruce St.
- Route 41 will follow normal routing to the temporary transfer point.
- Route 45 will follow normal routing to the temporary transfer point.
- Route 15, which travels along Columbus Dr, may be detoured intermittently per Tampa Police Department directives.
Due to street closures around the Tampa Convention Center, Tampa Bay Times Forum, and the River Arts District, Routes 4, 19, 30, and the In-Town Trolley will all see detours.
Please remember that the Lightning Playoffs are still in motion too! A home game is scheduled for April 24.
- Routes 4 and 19 will use the Selmon Expressway between Hyde Park/Plant Avenues and Morgan St/Florida Ave.
- Route 30 will use N. Boulevard and Cass/Tyler Streets.
- The In-Town Trolley will NOT SERVE HARBOUR ISLAND and instead circulate along Madison St, Morgan St, and Old Water St before returning to Florida Ave.
- Route 8, which runs through the Channelside District, may be detoured intermittently per Tampa Police Department directives.
In addition to the above, the TECOline Streetcar may be affected by the IIFA events in downtown as well. Please follow the TECO Line Streetcar System on social media for any special announcements.
Any questions or concerns about transit services during the IIFA should be directed to HART, by calling 813-254-4278. See detour maps for Routes 4, 19, 30, the In-Town Trolley, and bus routes that will be on detour in the Raymond James Stadium area.
Enjoy your week ahead, and stay safe!