Page Updated on 10/02/17
Please visit the hrtb.us app for real-time bus tracking and arrival time predictions (Opens in a new window).
For any special service advisories, please visit www.gohrt.com (Opens in a new window).
The Virginia Beach WAVE is a seasonal (summer) shuttle service that operates along the Virginia Beach Oceanfront to allow residents and visitors quick access to popular destinations along the Oceanfront. This service comprises of three routes and operates similarly to the Suncoast Beach Trolley in Pinellas County, Florida.
Schedule and Frequency
- This route runs along the entire expanse of Atlantic Ave and allows residents and visitors to easily access the many Oceanfront shops, eateries, museums, and other sights. This route runs 7 days a week from the beginning of May until the end of September between 8:00 am and 2:00 am the following morning. Shuttle frequency is roughly every 15 minutes.
This route connects the southern end of Atlantic Ave to the various tourist venues along General Booth Blvd, including the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Museum and the Ocean Breeze Water Park. The route then continues south towards the Holiday Trav-L-Park and the Virginia Beach KOA Campground. This route runs 7 days a week from the week prior to Memorial Day until Labor Day between 9:30 am and 11:10 pm. Shuttle frequency is roughly every 20 minutes. Please note that the Aquarium and Ocean Breeze stops are only serviced during venue operating hours.
This route allows riders to ride between the Oceanfront and the Hilltop shopping area for an awesome shopping and dining experience. Service is also provided to the Lynnhaven Mall, which is touted as Virginia Beach’s premier shopping destination. This route runs 7 days a week from the beginning of May until Labor Day between 10:00 am and 10:00 pm. Shuttle frequency is roughly every 60 minutes. Route 32 was eliminated due to low ridership.
NEW! This route runs along the northern portion of Atlantic Ave to First Landing State Park, serving various retail outlets and eateries along the corridor, as well as the North End beaches. This route runs 7 days a week from the week prior to Memorial Day until Labor Day between 8:00 am and 12-Midnight. From Labor Day to October 1, the shuttle operates between 8:00 am and 12-Midnight on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays only. Shuttle frequency is roughly every 45 minutes throughout the entire season.
Route Map & Fares
The VB WAVE service has a different set of fares than the rest of the HRT bus system. GoPasses can be purchased from participating retailers or from any Ticket Vending Machine (TVM). The information contained in the following graphic is effective for the 2017 operating season.
HRT operates two bus types on the VB WAVE services: 2015-model, 35-foot replica trolleys manufactured by Hometown Trolley out of Crandon, WI, or 2011-model, 30-foot Gillig Low Floor diesel-electric hybrid buses with the BRT-style front and rear. While the fourteen replica trolleys (numbered 101 through 114) are the primary vehicles used on the WAVE, the Gillig buses – manufactured in Hayward, CA – are used as fill-ins and also on Route 31.
Alternative Bus Services
The following local HRT bus routes provide connections to the Oceanfront all-year round.
- Route 20 travels along Virginia Beach Blvd/17th St between the Oceanfront and the Hilltop Shopping Center.
- Route 29 travels between the Hilltop Shopping Center and Lynnhaven Mall via Lynnhaven Pkwy and Virginia Beach Blvd, transferring at the Hilltop Shopping Center.
- Route 33 travels along Pacific Ave through the Oceanfront and General Booth Blvd towards Tidewater Community College. Limited Sunday service, please see schedule for details.
- MAX Route 960 provides express service between downtown Norfolk (Wood St) and the Oceanfront (Pacific Ave and 19th St).
Please keep in mind that information on this page is subject to change, especially things like schedules and fares. I do try my best to keep things as accurate as possible, but sometimes things change without notice. To obtain the latest information, please visit gohrt.com or call (757)-222-6100.