Page Updated on 10/29/15
All services have ended for the season and will begin resuming around Memorial Day, 2016.
Please watch the LED-style signs below for current regular operating statuses.
Please visit the hrtb.us app for real-time bus tracking and arrival time predictions (Opens in a new window).
For any special service advisories, please visit www.gohrt.com (Opens in a new window).
The Virginia Beach WAVE is a seasonal (summer) shuttle service that operates along the Virginia Beach Oceanfront to allow residents and visitors quick access to popular destinations along the Oceanfront. This service comprises of three routes and operates similarly to the Suncoast Beach Trolley in Pinellas County, Florida.
Click here to view a map of the VB WAVE routes (from HRT).
Schedule and Frequency
- Route 30: Atlantic Avenue Shuttle: This route runs along the entire expanse of Atlantic Ave and allows residents and visitors to easily access the many Oceanfront shops, eateries, museums, and other sights. This route runs 7 days a week from the beginning of May until the end of September between 8:00am and 2:00am the following morning. Shuttle frequency is roughly every 15 minutes.
- Route 31: Aquarium and Campground Shuttle: This route connects the southern end of Atlantic Ave to the various tourist venues along General Booth Blvd, including the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Museum and the Ocean Breeze Water Park. The route then continues south towards the Holiday Trav-L-Park and the Virginia Beach KOA Campground. This route runs 7 days a week from the beginning of May until Labor Day between 9:30am and 11:10pm. Shuttle frequency is roughly every 20 minutes. Please note that the Aquarium and Ocean Breeze stops are only serviced during venue operating hours.
- Route 32: Shoppers Shuttle: This route allows riders to ride between the Oceanfront and the Hilltop shopping area for an awesome shopping and dining experience. Service is also provided to the Lynnhaven Mall, which is touted as Virginia Beach’s premier shopping destination. This route runs 7 days a week from the beginning of May until Labor Day between 10:00am and 10:00pm. Shuttle frequency is roughly every 60 minutes.
- Adults/Youth: $2.00
- Seniors and persons with disabilities: $1.00
- Children under 38”: Free
- GO 1-Day Shuttle Pass: $4.00
- GO 1-Day Shuttle Pass (Seniors, Disabled, Youth): $2.00
- GO 3-Day Shuttle Pass: $8.00
- GO 3-Day Shuttle Pass (Seniors, Disabled, Youth): $4.00
HRT operates two bus types on the VB WAVE services. Route 30 typically operates with 30-foot Optima Opus Low Floor buses, and Routes 31 and 32 typically operate with 30-foot Gillig Low Floor Hybrid-drive buses with the BRT-style design. Plans are in the works to bring in replica trolley buses (likely 30-foot Gillig Low Floor Replica Trolley buses) to service Route 30.
Alternative Bus Services
The following local HRT bus routes provide connections to the Oceanfront all-year round.
- Route 20 travels along Virginia Beach Blvd/17th St between the Oceanfront and the Hilltop Shopping Center.
- Route 29 travels between the Hilltop Shopping Center and Lynnhaven Mall via Lynnhaven Pkwy and Virginia Beach Blvd, transferring at the Hilltop Shopping Center.
- Route 33 travels along Pacific Ave through the Oceanfront and General Booth Blvd towards Tidewater Community College. Limited Sunday service, please see schedule for details.
- MAX Route 960 provides express service between downtown Norfolk (Wood St) and the Oceanfront (Pacific Ave and 19th St).
Please keep in mind that information on this page is subject to change, especially things like schedules and fares. I do try my best to keep things as accurate as possible, but sometimes things change without notice. To obtain the latest information, please visit gohrt.com or call (757)-222-6100.