Please note that due to the rapidly changing information; this post will be periodically updated. Be sure to check back for updates. The last update to this post was on 7/31/12.
On July 23, 2012, the US Secret Service unveiled its listing of roadway closures throughout the Tampa Bay Area during the Republican National Convention. And boy do we have a lot of thoroughfares on the list. Most of the closures will be centered in around downtown Tampa; where the event will be held. However, due to RNC events in downtown St. Pete; some roadways there will be closed as well.
In Tampa; some of the roadways to be closed during the RNC (which will be held August 26 through the 30) include the following:
- Bayshore Blvd northeast of Swann Ave (Access will be available to the Davis Islands)
- Platt St, Brorien St, and Frankland St bridges
- Basically every single downtown roadway south of Whiting St (access to Harbour Island will be limited)
- The Lee Roy Selmon Expressway between Willow Ave and 50th St (the Reversible Lanes will remain open)
- Tampa Bay Blvd between Dale Mabry Hwy & Himes Ave
In St. Pete; many city roadways will be closed; in addition to Interstate 175.
In addition to the roadway closures; parking and pedestrian access through both cities will be restricted.
Click “Continue Reading” for updates on Public Transit Restrictions/Detours.